Friday, November 7, 2008

A Post-Halloween Post.

I made my own Halloween costume this year. I am awful at sewing, mostly because I am impatient and don't really know how to use a sewing machine. Guessing doesn't really work out that well.
I can do really simple things, like hemming pants and sewing things wonky. Wonky skirt? Uneven curtains? I am your girl. Unfortunately, sewing is not like cooking. It might be if you know your way around a machine, but not me. A plan usually helps with the sewing.
My costume was Lydia Deetz from Beetlejuice (the cartoon). She wears a lot of black (as do I, that was not a problem) and a red cape with lavender lining and a spiderweb design.
I thought it would be easy, and um, it probably was. I made it alot harder by not planning it out. There was a lot of seam ripping. With my teeth, I couldn't find my seam ripper.
I had planned on hand sewing the spiderweb design and then remembered that I don't have time to do laundry, let alone spend hours hand sewing something that would be worn to bars for one night only.
Solution? Black sparkle puff paint. Not my idea, but I happen to have the greatest coworkers ever. No one knew who I was dressed as. Amateurs. I love my costume all the same. I thought it was awesome.

Of course everyone knew who Geoff was. I would say a job well done, but it was his costume last year too. I was going to make him an awesome costume but he said he's already been everything awesome. Obi Won Kanobe (forgive my spelling, I'm not that nerdy), Indiana Jones, Leon from the Professional, Garth, and the Tin Man.

It was a great night, even though every bar had a line to get in. Lame! I need to start using a camera for pictures. My iphone makes me lazy.

3 comments:

benrum said...

repeat or no repeat, Indy is a badass! Good work Mallory, i totally knew who you were. There's a happy meal toy from the beetlejuice cartoon on my grandmas bookshelf. I think I put it there when I was eight... and there it stayed!

lovemartha said...

i think your costume looks great! and... what boots are you wearing?

mallory said...

boots that i just borrowed from my mom. They are awesome! She's letting me hang onto them for awhile.